We are hoping to get bio and photos of all 30 of our consultants up here soon. But for now….
We will do our best to match your requirements to the abilities and strengths of our consultants.
Click the image for a CV/Resume if we have one.
I have mostly been a conduit between tech and non-tech people and my own tech skills have developed out of necessity to solve problems quickly and allow colleagues/clients the creative flexibility they needed.
Recent Skills examples
- Integration of multiple data sources through vba/APIs/Power Query; including creating automated power-hungry hub ‘servers’ continually updating data and making that processed data available to users ‘clients’ through slim front-ends.
- Including the dynamic creation of Power Query code through vba – recreating connections against 17 completely separate companies in the Xero accounting package for multiple read-writes using different API connections for each company.
- Use of SharePoint to control multiple user access from a core Excel front-end to project data stored in an array of csv files where a structured database was not available.
- Creation of a read/write form in an excel workbook linked to a one-to-may entrant/entries table-set for a competition management system (for the UK National Ice Cream championship); the system also handles multiple judges, results entry and reporting.
- Using SpreadsheetWeb to develop a browser replication of a project management Excel workbook with a SQL back-end, This is for a client who operates in the UK, US and China and has difficulties in using some tools within China.
- Re-structuring an out of control data collation business intelligence and dashboard and defining how to handle requirements in excel now that will be then pushed back to a cloud SQL dumb repository managed by stored procedures
- A multi lingual solution that control every aspect of the user interface; text, images, data validations including background messaging & message boxes – all text is stored in a translation table and retrieved based on language selection
- Front-end controls allowing different user rights via password access and admin access rights to the underlying system structure.
- Dashboard development, including a challenging method to click on a highly variable chart in Excel to provide a drill-down solution.
I have worked with Excel on both Windows and MacOS, and have used VBA to connect to databases, URLs, and process JSON and XML. I also develop in VBA for both Access and Word and have experience of SQL databases.
In addition to specialist oil industry petroleum engineering skills my business experience includes (1) economic analysis & investment appraisal e.g. concepts such as real/nominal, cash flow, discounting, NPV, EMV, IRR, PI, breakeven, (2) Value of Information, (3) Bayesian inference, (4) decision & risk analysis e.g. decision trees, quantification of uncertainty, probabilistic results, expected value, (5) uncertainty analysis workflows e.g. problem framing, influence diagrams, tornado plots, probabilistic analysis, cumulative probability and (5) Monte Carlo analysis.
With one or two exceptions, I have worked in the Food Retail sector (around 17 years) and Social Housing sector (12 years) during my working life. During my time in the housing sector, I have specialised in Fixed Assets accounting and have become very proficient in the use of Asset4000 – a piece of fixed assets management and accounting software created by Real Asset Management.
I am a qualified Chartered Management Accountant (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants – CIMA) and have worked within finance since 1999.
When creating solutions in Excel, I aim for user-friendliness and functionality.
I also speak and understand Brazilian Portuguese.
I take a pride in being able to write bespoke code quickly that can run efficiently. I am prepared to research more complex solutions, if required, and can make use of Windows API calls to add functionality to Office applications. I am not limited to simply adding basic automation to Excel. I do also have a good understanding of the Outlook and Word object models, which are often overlooked by Excel developers.
with a click of a button.
Data entry is another area where big improvements can be realised. By utilising custom input forms for the user, the data can be validated and loaded to the correct location which will greatly reduce errors which in turn will mean more accurate reports. In fact, by using VBA and forms, the user can input data without realising they are working in a spreadsheet.
Freelance engineer working on a multitude of projects many in the VBA/VB/ .net area.
• Extensive use of API’s to connect office application to external data.
• Building advanced SQL queries to fetch data for dashboard/ pivot table construction to allow for effective data analysis.
• Building advanced excel modelling.
• Advance VBA programming Woking on projects building toolbars from the VBA manger.
• JSON reading & parsing in VBA environment for posting back to API’s.
• HTML building in VBA environment.
• Extensive report writing and word template experience,
• Heavy use of Excel pivot tables and Microsoft BI.